The foundation stone of the present church, dedicated to St. Mary, was laid by Lord Henniker in 1853.  It replaced a much older flint church, which was, by then, in ruins.


St. Mary’s is built in red brick, relieved by chequered and banded blue bricks.  The windows are clear leaded glass, making for a light and bright interior.  The east end window, however, is bordered with a narrow band of vivid blue, which has an enchanting effect when the morning sun shines through.

The church of St. Peter,Thorpe is long ruined, but parts of the old building are visible in the garden of Thorpe Hall.

 

Churchwarden of St Mary's - Ashfield:

Robert Grimsey   01728 685203

Parish Email contact: benefice.website@yahoo.co.uk

Make a free website with Yola