St.Peter's Church stands near a small tributary of the River Deben, where there were settlements in Roman and Saxon times, and it has served the village of Charsfield for over 900 years. The oldest part of the building dates from the early twelfth century, and today the church reveals not only changes in the style of building and of doctrine through the centuries but it also stands witness to the faith and generosity of people past and present who have worshipped here.

In the earliest parts of the building, there is a 12th century Norman window in the north wall of the nave and a 13th century lancet in the chancel. The 14th century hammerbeam roof is simple and pleasing.

The 15th century octagonal font has symbols of the Evangelists, and a saint holding a cruciform church. Earl Howe, the patron, presented the stone reredos, painted with the Creed, Lord's Prayer and Ten Commandments, he also built the School House in 1863. 

The organ is an early 19th century instrument with a fine quality of tone. The choir stalls, in English oak, are an example of fine early 20th century work, dating from the 1930's when a Framlingham craftsman, Horace Lanman, carved the bench ends in the style of the 14th century, with poppyheads and ten figures, including a squirrel, owl, pelican, muzzled dog and a man being punished in the stocks. Charsfield craftsmen produced the benches.

Churchwarden of St Peter's - Charsfield:

Michael Bamford    01473 737414

Parish Email contact: benefice.website@yahoo.co.uk

Make a Free Website with Yola.